Monday, June 30, 2014

Freshman Check List

Recently, one of my friends came to me wondering what she should take to college. She's an incoming Freshman going into a community style dorm. Like anyone who is soon to be starting their first year at college, she's a little nervous. However, I started my first year in a different style dorm. One with a little more room and a bathroom attached. So I consulted the girls who lived on my hall this year when I worked as a Freshman dorm Resident Assistant. With their help I came up with this list. These are items that we have all agreed are necessary for your first year at college. 


1. Christmas Lights
If you have read some of my previous blogs you can easily tell that I am a fan of Christmas lights in the dorm. It's a great and easy way to warm up, and light up a dorm room.

2. Air Freshener
This is an item that was suggested by my residents. I can understand why. This year I had the great pleasure of living on Nora Third North at Lee University. However, there are a few downsides to living in one of the oldest dorms on campus. Every now and then a very rancid odor would lurk through the hallways taking down innocent bystanders with one whiff. Needless to say, air freshener was necessary. Even if your dorm is brand new, you might find your self in need of one of these as well. It is always a great thing to have handy. 

3. Laundry Basket/Bag
When choosing your laundry basket or bag you want to keep a few things in mind. Will this be able to fit into my room easily, or will it get in the way? Will I be okay with carrying this, even if it is all around the building in an attempt to find the one washer or dryer that is available? Because color and style is always great until you're cutting off your circulation trying to lug your laundry to the nearest laundry room. And baskets are always fantastic until there is no where to put them because of their awkward shape.

4. Shower Caddy
This was another suggestion from one of my residents. If you live in a community shower dorm you need to invest in one of these. No one wants to be in the middle of a shower and have then conditioner shoot into the stall next to them.

5. Some Cookware
You don't need an entire chef's cabinet, but a pot, a few knives, and some silverware will take you a long way. Even if you are on a meal plan it does not hurt to have a home cooked meal every know and then. I know on my hall there were a few occasions where we pitched in to enjoy a meal together. It's also a nice thing when your friends come to visit you.

6. Oven Mitts
My residents would also add to make sure you do not forget to bring oven mitts, or you are going to have a really hard time using number 5. 

7. First Aid
I know it's kind of a "mom thing" to tell you to get a first aid kit, but trust me it will come in handy. If not for you, for the girl down the hall who slipped in the shower and removed a good chunk of herself shaving her legs. It's also nice to have when you decide to become adventurous on your own, and try out some hot guy's longboard. 

8. Bedding
You are going to want some sheets, pillow and pillow case, a comforter, and a mattress pad at the least. Trust me the mattress pad is essential. I also enjoy having a few small pillows for when I want to sit against the wall, or a few friends want to join me on my bed to watch a movie.

9. Mini Trash Can
A small trash can will help you to keep your room tidy, and keep the trash off the floor. 

10. Towels (And Robe for Community showers)
So they don't have to be this fancy, but you'll need some towels. Also, if you are in a community style dorm it would definitely help to have a robe. It's an easy way to navigate through the halls without the worries of your towel falling off when the maintenance guy walks through the hall screening "man on the hall". Even though those three words do nothing to protect an old maintenance man from seeing the catastrophe of a young girl who has dropped everything in an attempt to retrieve their towel from the floor.

11. Power Strips (BUT NO EXTENSION CORDS)
You will need power strips for all your electrical needs, but do not bring extension cords because in most colleges they are prohibited and a fire hazard.  

12. Umbrella
If you are going to Lee University you definitely need an umbrella. After all Cleveland, TN is the Seattle of the south. Trust me, no one likes to be wet and miserable as they sit through a one-two hour class.

13. Medication
Don't forget to bring simple things like ibuprofen with you to school because when you don't feel good you are not going to want to go out to the store.

14. Flashlight
Having a flashlight on hand is always a good idea. You never know when you might need it. I have mine for power outages, but I have mostly had to use it trying to help residents find things that they have dropped behind their beds, dressers, and desks.

15. Sports Equipment
If you like to play sports don't forget to bring your equipment so you can join the rec. leagues at your school, and not have to use someone else's equipment. 

16. Plenty of Clothes
Bring enough clothes that if you don't have laundry money for two weeks, you'll be okay.

17. Batteries
Batteries are always helpful. 

18. Buy the Big things Once You Get There
        My first year going away to college I obsessed over every detail. I am a planner. I wanted to buy everything before going so I would know what I had, and to give me something to do to prepare and plan. But the truth is you don't want to buy big things like, mini fridges, microwaves, or even bookcases until you get to college because you don't know what kind of space you are working with yet. You don't want to haul something to college only to find out it won't fit. 

19. Find Your Study System
   a. The old days of many binders for many classes is over.
        Unless you are me, who needs a separate binder for every class because I'm an organization freak, it's okay to use one binder for one class. Or even just a folder. Or just a notebook. Whatever you do, develop a system of some sort of organization. Learn which classes require the textbook to travel with you to each class, and which classes don't. Also, learn which classes hand out note-taking guides each class, and which ones don't. This will help you to know what you should bring with you to class. If you get a new piece of paper every time you go to class, you most likely want to invest in a binder or some sort of tool that will help you keep those papers organized. But if you have never been handed a piece of paper from your professor quit taking the binder, and only equip yourself with a notebook or laptop. You'll get a hang of what is necessary, and what's not in no time. But just in case you don't, don't be afraid to comment below and ask for help. 
   b. The old days of procrastination must cease to exist (planners)
          I know it wasn't the "cool" thing to have in high school, but you need to invest in a planner of some sorts. If you are a technology lover and love using things like the calendar on your laptop, or the newest planner app, then go for it. But there are all sorts of planners out there that you can write in as well. In fact, Lee University, the University I attend hands out student handbooks every year. Not only is this a resource that is fun to read through and find out what weird rules your school has, but no longer really enforces, but it also contains a planner or agenda much like the ones you received in high school. Also, there are planners that allow you to plan every hour of your day out, for those of you who are super busy and need that. There's a site called, www.personal-planner.com/US/ , that I personally like. It allows you to create your own planner, including things like planning your meals for the week, or the tests you have to take. It's a little pricey, but as someone who relies on my planner I think it's worth it. 
          Even more important than planning out everything you have to get done, getting everything done. I have found that as soon as I get an assignment I split it up in my planner. For example, I discover through my syllabus at the beginning of the semester that I have a paper due in one month that is four pages long. I plan out to have one page done by the end of each week. This would make completing the paper less stressful. However, if I procrastinate and fail to follow up, than I might as well have not planned anything out in the first place because instead of being calm and prepared I will become extremely stressed out and the paper will not be of great quality. Trust me, procrastination is not your friend in college, and assignments are not as "chill" as they used to be in High School. You can't coast on by getting everything done the night before. You might pass, but you are not going to get anything out of it, and it will be a waste of your time and more importantly, your money. I learned last year that every time I skip a class, I throw away $72 or more depending on my class. Pretty soon you are going to discover just how much $72 really is. That could feed you for a week. 
   c. What you need depends on who you are
          As I have stated before some people only need a binder, and others like a binder for each class, it all depends on who you are and what you like. A lot of people ask if they need a laptop. My answer is it would not hurt. But you can get away with not having a computer of your own. You'll just need to plan things out a lot more based on the times the computer lab is open. Same thing with tablets. Also, begin to learn what environments you learn in the best. For some people it's in their bedroom at the desk that has been conveniently supplied by Residential Life. For others, it's at a park chilling with a couple of friends. If you study at your desk a laptop is perfect for you. But if you are always on the go, and don't always want to be lugging around your laptop, you might consider a tablet. It's all about who you are, and the needs you have.

If you're looking for a little more help I found these links to be very helpful and accurate.


Lastly, a few things that are relatable to college Freshman, or any college student.



Thank you for reading you might also enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment